Effective Date: December 22, 2014.
Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with this entire Policy prior to providing us with any information through the MINDink Services. These terms are intended to have the meaning given to them in the Policy. You should read the entire Policy, but to facilitate your review, here is a partial list of some of the key topics that are discussed in greater detail throughout the Policy.
- We collect certain information about you when you interact with the MINDink Services (e.g., Usage Information), both by directly asking you to provide us with such information and by automatically collecting it, including through the use of Web Technologies. Some of this information may be shared with third parties, including other Users and Visitors, advertisers, advertising related service providers and MINDink affiliates.
- Third parties – including linked services (e.g., Twitter, Facebook and Third Party Content Owners), may also collect certain information about you in connection with your use of the MINDink Services (e.g., Usage Information).
- Your media consumption activities (e.g., streaming audio, streaming video, digital video, ebooks, Third Party Licensed Content etc.) may be tracked through your use of the MINDink Services, subject to some limited preference settings. We may retain, use and disclose this media content consumption information as provided below for up to five (5) years from the date in which you consent unless you otherwise withdraw your consent. If we obtain a new consent from you after the date that we obtain your original consent, this period will be extended for additional five (5) year periods each time we obtain a new consent from you.
Cookies. A cookie is a data file placed on a Device when it is used to visit the MINDink Services. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file placed on a Device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your Device. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage. Unlike Flash cookies, HTML5 cookies do not require a plug-in. Regular cookies may generally be disabled or removed by tools that are available as part of most commercial internet browsers, and in some instances can be blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Each browser you use will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options in this regard. Also, these tools may not be effective with regard to Flash cookies or HTML5 cookies. For information on disabling Flash cookies go to Adobe’s website www.adobe.com. Please be aware that if you disable or remove cookies, Flash cookies, or HTML5 cookies on your Device, some parts of the MINDink Services may not function properly, and that when you revisit the MINDink Services your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
Device. The personal computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or other handheld device, internet connected television or other device that you use to access the MINDink Services.
Device Identifier. A unique string of numbers, letters or characters that is automatically assigned to your Device used to access the MINDink Services that allows our servers to identify your Device.
Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the MINDink Services, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your Device from our web server or a third party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the MINDink Services, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
ETag, or entity tag. A feature of the cache in browsers. It is an opaque identifier assigned by a web server to a specific version of a resource found at a URL. If the resource content at that URL ever changes, a new and different ETag is assigned. Used in this manner ETags are a form of Device Identifier. ETag tracking may generate unique tracking values even where the consumer blocks HTTP, Flash, and/or HTML5 cookies.
Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1×1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in the MINDink Services’ pages and messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including to: count visitors to the MINDink Services, to monitor how users navigate the MINDink Services, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
1. Who We Are an integrated, on-demand digital content platform, creating a new way for students to connect, discover, share and make the most of their university experience. MINDink also allows publishers and universities to curate and deliver content on the only social distribution channel in the market, whilst streamlining the purchasing process of digital content for students.
The services offered by MINDink include (i) those offered on any MINDink – branded URL, including www.mindink.com (the “MINDink Website”), (ii) MINDink messaging services (including, without limitation, instant messaging, private messaging, and public and private group chatting), (iii) MINDink mobile services, and (vi) any other features, content, or applications offered or operated from time to time by MINDink in connection with MINDink ‘s business, including when MINDink is accessed via the internet, mobile device, television or other device (collectively, “MINDink Services”). The MINDink Services are hosted in Australia. As part of your use of the MINDink Services, you consent to the transfer of your personal data to Australia.
3. The Information That We Collect
3.1. Information You Provide To Us – Personal Information And Demographic Information We may ask you to provide us with certain information when you interact with the MINDink Services. This information can generally be grouped into two main categories – Personal Information and Demographic Information.
Information that identifies you as a particular individual is referred to in this Policy as “Personal Information”. This would include your full name, e-mail address, telephone number and street address. Please note that the term Personal Information does NOT include MINDink IDs or Device Identifiers (as such terms are defined below), except to the extent that they are combined with other forms of Personal Information that we have collected directly from you on the MINDink Services. The term “Demographic Information” refers to information about groups or particular types of individuals that access the MINDink Services. Demographic Information does not directly identify you as a specific individual, and would include information such as your age, gender, marital status, income level, and postcode.
We collect Personal Information and Demographic Information through the MINDink Services when you choose to provide us with such information, for example, when you register to become a Member. We may also collect Personal Information and/or Demographic Information through a variety of other methods, including when you elect to contact us, submit Profile Content or otherwise interact with the MINDink Services.
3.1.1. Payment Information If you purchase Third Party Content from us, we may request certain personally identifiable information from you. You may be required to provide contact information (such as name, Email, and postal address) and financial information (such as credit card number, expiration date). We use this information for billing purposes and to fill your orders. If we have trouble processing an order, we will use this information to contact you.
3.1.2. Registration Information Certain features of the MINDink Services are only accessible by Members who have registered with MINDink and created a MINDink account (“Account”). In order to do so, you must first complete a registration form that requests certain basic registration information from you, such as your full name, e-mail address, date of birth, and gender (collectively, “Registration Information”). Please note that the Registration Information requested by MINDink may include both Personal Information and Demographic Information.
3.1.4. “Restricted Information” refers to those portions of the Profile Content and Activity Notifications associated with your Profile to which you may elect to restrict access by changing the Profile settings that MINDink may make available to you from time-to-time (**”Profile Settings”**) or by changing other functionality specific settings on the MINDink Services. These Profile Settings may permit you to create a “Restricted Profile” by choosing to enable certain (but not absolute) limitations on the availability of certain aspects of your Profile that are not Public Information, certain associated Profile Content, and some of the notifications that MINDink produces regarding your activities (“Activity Notifications”). Further, unless otherwise provided by MINDink, all of your Profile Content and Activity Notifications will still be available to the Profiles that you allow to connect to you. Please note you are currently unable to restrict access to Public Information, which can always be viewed, accessed, and used by anyone with access to the MINDink Services, including via third party search engines.
“Public Information” refers to the portion of your Profile Content that can always be viewed, accessed, and used by anyone with access to the MINDink Services (e.g., MINDink, other Users, search engines, advertisers, application developers, other third parties, etc.). Any Profile Content that does not otherwise constitute Restricted Information is considered Public Information for the purposes of this Policy. At a minimum, Public Information includes your:
- Full Name
– Profile URL
– About Me (the portion of your Profile that provides a place to describe yourself)
– The number of your connected classmates and friends
Public Information also includes:
- Any additional Profile Content associated with a “Public Profile,” which refers to any Profile for which a User has set the Profile’s
visibility status to “Public” in his or her Profile Settings, but subject to Mix privacy settings (as further defined);
– Activity Notifications published on the MINDink Services from Public Profiles;
– The Subjects which you have selected to follow.
– About Me (the portion of your Profile that provides a place to describe yourself)
– Profile Photo
– Profile Cover
– Stated Location
– MINDink IDs
You should be aware that the default setting for Profiles of Members who indicate that they are 18 years of age or older is public (i.e Public Profiles). The default setting for Profiles of Members who indicate that they are under 18 years of age is restricted (i.e Restricted Profiles). Other than with respect to Artist Profiles, whose visibility status may not be changed, you may change the visibility status of your Profile from a Public Profile to a Restricted Profile at any time by visiting Profile Settings. Please note, however, that Activity Notifications that were created during the time that your Profile was a Public Profile shall remain public after any change to a Restricted Profile.
Although access to Restricted Information will be limited as set forth above, it is important to note that if you share such information with others, they may copy that information or share it with others, including with the public. MINDink is not responsible for the actions of those with whom you choose to share your Restricted Information.
The MINDink Services may allow messaging between Members. More detailed information about MINDink’s Profile Settings is available here.
Account ID And Profile ID When you create an Account, MINDink assigns an “Account ID” to identify and organise information relating to your Account and a “Profile ID” for each Profile associated with an Account (collectively, your “MINDink IDs”). The Profile ID may allow MINDink to provide a unique internet URL for your Profile (“Profile URL”). As described above, MINDink IDs and/or Profile URLs constitute Public Information and may therefore be viewed, accessed, and/or used by anyone with access to the MINDink Services. You cannot restrict access to Public Information through your Profile Settings.
3.2. Information We Collect Or Store As You Access And Use The MINDink Services In addition to the information that you choose to submit to us via the MINDink Services, we and our third-party service providers may also collect certain information about you automatically, including through the use of various technologies that passively store or collect certain information whenever you interact with the MINDink Services. This may include information about the nature of a User’s interactions with the MINDink Services, such as his or her media consumption activities (“Usage Information”). Usage Information may be stored or accessed using a variety of technologies including cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, entity tags and other similar technologies whether now or later devised (collectively “Web Technologies”), some of which may be downloaded to the computer or other Device. The Usage Information that we collect may be non identifying or it may be associated with you, your Account, and your Profile(s). In the event we collect certain information about your interaction with the MINDink Services while you are a Visitor, MINDink may associate that information with your Account if you subsequently become a Member.
Examples of the Usage Information we may collect include:
- your IP address or unique Device Identifiers;
– your Device functionality (e.g., browser type, operating system, hardware, mobile network information, etc.); the URL that referred you to the MINDink Services;
– the areas within the MINDink Services that you visit and your activities there, including remembering you and your preferences, which ebooks you are reading, what videos you are viewing, or Profiles or content you choose to connect with, etc.;
– your Device location (including using GPS and longitude and latitude location information);
– your Device characteristics;
– certain other Device data (e.g., the time of day); and
– ranking information about you with respect to other Users or content pages that you interact with (e.g., MINDink may record the links to content pages that you post and rank your association with that content compared to other Users).
3.3. Information We Receive From Third-Parties MINDink may receive various types of information about you from third parties, including Demographic Information, Personal Information, web usage information, inferences drawn from that data, and unique Device Identifiers.
MINDink may also receive or collect certain information about you from third-party websites, platforms, or services in the event you choose to take advantage of various features that may allow you to integrate information on or to the MINDink Services. For example, MINDink may provide you with the option to voluntarily: (i) sync content from Twitter that will appear on the MINDink Services in your activity feed; (ii) authenticate your identity and register for MINDink using Facebook’s authentication protocol; or (iii) otherwise integrate information from third-party sources. Similarly, we may allow third-party websites, platforms, or services to develop software applications that you can elect to install on your Account in order to provide additional functionality to the MINDink Services. These third party integrations and applications are collectively referred to in this Policy as “Third-Party Linked Services”. Should you voluntarily choose to take advantage of the Third-Party Linked Services offered through the MINDink Services, we may receive certain information about you from the relevant third-party providers, including the following:
– Nickname or username
– Photo or graphic avatar
– Unique third-party website identifier (e.g., Facebook User ID)
– Biographical or Demographic Information (e.g., professional title, gender, college attended, etc.)
– Likes and interests
– Content accessed or associated with your third party service account (e.g., articles, ebooks, videos)
– Any information that is publicly available on third-party websites
– Device location (including GPS and longitude and latitude location information)|
– Other information that you choose to share with MINDink
We may supplement or otherwise combine the information we collect directly through the MINDink Services with information received or collected from third parties.
MINDink will treat any information received from third parties (including providers of Third-Party Linked Services) as set forth in this Policy. However, the information practices of third parties are not governed by this Policy. MINDink cannot control the treatment of your information by third parties and we are not responsible for their privacy practices, which may differ from those described in this Policy. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and terms of service of any such third parties prior to choosing to integrate and/or install them on your Account or disclosing information to them. If you have any questions regarding a third party’s information practices, you must contact the relevant entity directly.
3.4. Information You Provide About A Third Party You may have the opportunity to communicate with others from the MINDink Services, such as by sending an invitation to a friend. If you choose to take advantage of this functionality, we may ask you to provide us with certain information about the person with whom you wish to communicate (e.g., name, e-mail address, mobile number, etc.). MINDink collects such information for the purposes of facilitating the requested communication, which may contain a specific promotional message from you (e.g., an invitation to register for the MINDink Services). Unless we explicitly say otherwise, MINDink will not use this information for other marketing purposes without first obtaining consent from the person to whom the relevant information pertains. Please be aware that when you use any send-to-a-friend functionality on the MINDink Services, your e-mail address, mobile number, name or username, and message may be included in the communication sent to your addressee(s). Some of these tools may be third-party tools subject to third-party privacy policies, as further detailed in Section 3.3 and Section 5.
4. MINDink’s Use And Disclosure Of Your Information Except as otherwise set forth in this Policy, we may use the information that we collect about you through the MINDink Services for any purposes not prohibited by applicable laws and regulations, including as follows:
4.1. Public Information And MINDink ID MINDink may use and share your Public Information, including MINDink IDs, for any reason in our discretion. Public Information, including MINDink IDs, may be displayed in search results both on the MINDink Services and on external search engines (i.e., those owned or operated by third parties, such as Google).
4.2. Restricted Information And Other Information MINDink may also disclose any of your Restricted Information, and any other information we have received from or about you, as set forth in the following subsections. In addition, MINDink may use and disclose your information for other purposes when you provide us with prior consent to use your information in such a manner.
4.2.1. Restricted Information And Other Information We may use any information we collect from and about Users in connection with providing and managing the MINDink Services. This may include, among other things: (i) measuring and improving the MINDink Services; (ii) enabling you to communicate and share with other Users; (iii) recommending content or connections (including other Users) to you; (v) analysing and disclosing your ranking to certain content or Users to anyone; (vi) providing you with customer support and other requested services; and (vii) responding to your inquiries.
4.2.3. To Third Party Linked Services When you choose to use a Third-Party Linked Service, you are authorising the MINDink Services to share information generated by or available on the MINDink Services, including Personal Information, with Third-Party Linked Services, including, but not limited to:
- Full Name
– Profile URL
– About Me
– Profile Photo
– Profile Cover
– Unique MINDink Identifier (e.g., MINDink IDs)
– Stated Location
– Biographical or Demographic Information (e.g., professional title, college attended, etc.)
– Any Information that Is Publicly Available on the MINDink Services
– Device location (including using GPS and longitude and latitude location information)
– Other Information that You Choose to Share with Third-Party Linked Services
4.2.4. Analytics Services MINDink uses third-party analytics providers and products to obtain, compile, and analyse information (that may include your Profile Content (both Public Information and Restricted Information), Demographic Information, Usage Information and/or Device Identifiers about how Users are using and interacting with the MINDink Services. MINDink may provide such information to these analytics providers for the purpose of obtaining statistics and other information about how Users are using and interacting with the MINDink Services.
These analytics providers may use their own Web Technologies to provide us with these services and may otherwise collect or have access to information about you, including your Profile Content, Demographic Information, Usage Information and/or Device Identifiers. We are not responsible for those third-party Web Technologies or activities arising out of them. Some third-party analytics providers may offer you certain choices regarding their practices. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of or compliance with any third parties’ opt-out choices.
4.2.5. To Allow Other Users To Find You MINDink uses Public Information and Restricted Information in connection with User search inquiries to establish potential matches to search criteria using tools made available as part of the MINDink Services. We make good faith efforts not to display to other Users your Restricted Information except in accordance with your Profile Settings. Please note that Members under the self-reported age of 18 are not intended to show up in the results of MINDink’s “people browse” feature, which allows Users to browse for Members based on certain criteria inputted by the User.
4.2.6. To Deliver Relevant Content And Recommendations To make your experience more interesting or relevant, we may use information you provide, or that we collect about you (e.g., Profile Content, including without limitation page views, queries, media consumption, and connections between your Profile and other Profiles or content pages), and information we may collect from other Users and third parties (e.g., Facebook or Twitter), to assist us in recommending Member and content connections to you on MINDink. MINDink may also combine your information with information collected by affiliates or others to improve the MINDink Services and to make content recommendations to you both on and off of the MINDink Services.
4.2.7. To Create A Social Media Consumption Experience As part of the MINDink Services, your Usage Information and Profile Content (including ebook viewing, video viewing and audio access) may be shared with other Users. To make your content consumption experience more social and fun, to improve services, to perform analytics, to compare your usage to other Users, to rank your linkages with certain content or Users, and to better make suggestions about other content, we may use any of the information you provide and the information we collect about you and we may share the content of the media that you access on or through the MINDink Services with other Users. We may also share your media access through MINDink Services (including ebook viewing, video and audio content access) as an activity notification by activity notification by, for example, sharing your Profile content (including your full name, username and Profile Picture) on the content page where such video or audio resides. Additionally, your activity may be indicated on your own Profile (in your activity stream or elsewhere) and on your connections’ Profile, in each case, both on the MINDink Website, and on any other MINDink Services. Other examples of activities that may generate Activity Notifications include, but are not limited to: (i) posting status updates; (ii) commenting on a post; (iii) sharing content or posting on the MINDink Services; (iv) sharing content or posting to a Third-Party Linked Service; (v) connecting to a Profile or content (e.g., a photo, photo album, video, ebook, etc.); (vi) being tagged in a photo; (vii) commenting on a photo album; (viii) adding a photo to a photo album; (ix) updating a Profile; and (xii) adding a cover photo.
MINDink makes this feature public to everyone by default, and anyone can see these Activity Notifications. Note that if your Profile is a Restricted Profile, the Profiles that you have allowed to connect to you will still see your Activity Notifications regarding your content consumption on MINDink. From time-to-time we may offer you with options, such as an option to opt out on a session basis, or a persistent basis, from Activity Notifications related to your content consumption. Session settings are intended to last only as long as your MINDink page is open in your browser. If you close your browser, the session-based setting will be reset to public.
Unless otherwise noted, your consumption of media on the MINDink Services will be Public Information. To Provide Activity Notifications To Provide Activity Notifications To Provide Activity Notifications.
4.2.8. To Contact YouMINDink may periodically send promotional materials or notifications related to MINDink Services or the services or products of MINDink’s partners to the e-mail address you provided to us in your Registration Information or to the messaging functionality of your Profile(s). By maintaining an Account and/or using MINDink Services, you consent to the receipt of promotional materials or notifications to your e-mail address or Profile(s). If you want to stop receiving promotional materials from MINDink, you may unsubscribe by changing your Profile Settings or following the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the relevant e-mail from MINDink. You may continue to receive transactional messages from MINDink even if you choose to opt-out from receiving our marketing or promotional communications. For more information, please see Section 10 below titled “Managing Your Information On, And Communications From, MINDink.”
4.2.10. Business Transfers MINDink may disclose User information in the event we file for bankruptcy, or in connection with certain types of business transactions that result in corporate change. For example, if MINDink is or may be (or substantially all of its assets are or may be) acquired by a third party pursuant to an acquisition, merger, sale, reorganisation, liquidation, or similar business transfer, we may disclose and transfer User information to the parties involved in the transaction (e.g., in connection with due diligence efforts or as a transferred asset).
4.2.11. Sweepstakes, Contests And Promotions We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (collectively,“Promotions”) through the MINDink Services that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, allowing the sponsor of the Promotion to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winners list.
5. Choices Regarding Third-Party Tracking And Targeting This Policy discloses how MINDink collects, uses, discloses, and transfers your information and uses Web Technologies in connection with the MINDink Services to which this Policy applies. This Policy does not govern the collection, use, disclosure, or transfer of your information or use of Web Technologies by third parties. The collection, use, disclosure, or transfer of your information or use of Web Technologies by third parties is governed by the applicable third parties’ privacy policies.
6. How We Safeguard User Information MINDink takes reasonable precautions to preserve the integrity and security of your Personal Information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information accessed, stored or transmitted by MINDink.
7. Protecting Children’s Privacy MINDink understands the importance of protecting children’s privacy in the interactive world. We do not use the MINDink Services to knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent. If you are a child under 13 years of age, you are not permitted to use the MINDink Services and should not send any information about yourself to us through the MINDink Services. In the event that MINDink becomes aware that we have collected Personal Information from any child, we will dispose of that information in accordance with the Privacy Act and other applicable laws and regulations.
8. If There Are Changes To The Policy This Policy, your Profile Settings and your interaction with the MINDink Services are the primary means by which MINDink provides you with notice and choice regarding its collection and use of your Personal Information. MINDink may modify this Policy and/or Profile Setting options at any time. However, if we make material changes to this Policy that expand our rights to use your Personal Information, we will notify you either through a MINDink message, e-mail, and/or a prominent notice at the MINDink Website, or as otherwise required or permitted by law. You express your affirmative consent to any material changes if you choose to continue using the MINDink Services following notice of these changes in this manner. Your participation in and use of the MINDink Services is entirely voluntarily, and you may choose to cease using the MINDink Services and/or to terminate your Account and its associated Profile(s) at any time and for any reason.
9. Managing Your Information On, And Communications From, MINDink We provide you with the ability, through your Profile Settings, to access, edit, or delete certain of your Registration Information and Profile Content. Please note that certain Registration Information is required to maintain an Account; therefore, if you desire to delete required Registration Information, you will have to delete your Account and associated Profiles. If you no longer want to use the MINDink Services, you may cancel your Account at any time. Even after you cancel your Account or delete information or Profile Content, copies of some information from your Account or Profile(s) may remain viewable in circumstances where, for example, you have posted information on another User’s Profile, shared information with a Third-Party Linked Service, or if another Visitor or Member copied, stored or shared your information or has a copy of the link to content you shared on the MINDink Services. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may also retain backup information related to your Account and associated Profile(s) on our servers for as long as is reasonably necessary after cancellation for fraud detection, site operation or to comply with applicable law.
MINDink communicates with you for a number of different purposes. You may choose to stop receiving commercial e-mail from us for a specific purpose, multiple purposes or all purposes. You will also have the option of clicking on a link included in e-mail correspondence you receive from us in order to remove yourself from one or more of our types of communications. Please note that we reserve the right to send you certain transactional communications relating to your account or use of the MINDink Services, such as administrative and service announcements even if you choose to opt-out from receiving our marketing or promotional communications.
10. How To Contact Us If you have questions about this Policy or any complaints about our procedures, please contact MINDink at:
On the Internet: mindink.com/help
Mail: MINDink Pty Ltd Attn: Customer Care – Privacy 250 Riley Street Surry Hills, NSW 2010 Australia.
PLEASE NOTE: We are not responsible for third-party policies or practices. We try to keep this information current, and will add to and subtract from the chart above as appropriate, but it is provided as a courtesy and may not be current or accurate. Please contact the applicable third parties regarding their privacy and data security policies and practices.